Fighting for the Rights of Car Crash Victims in Ft. Myers
According to data from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), there were 401,502 crashes in 2019—167,391 of which led to injuries or fatalities. Many of these accidents are unfortunately caused by someone’s negligence or reckless actions. From driving distracted driving to driving while under the influence to speeding or making unsafe lane changes, driver negligence can make the roads unsafe and lead to an accident.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, our Fort Myers car accident attorneys can assist you with every aspect of your case. With over 25 years of collective experience, our firm is committed to helping car accident plaintiffs receive the best possible compensation, and we understand the tactics and tricks the insurance company representatives may use to get you to accept a lowball offer. Whether you need help negotiating with your insurance company, understanding sources of compensation, or investigating the cause of the accident, Pittman Law Firm, P.L. is here and equipped to help you.
Contact the team at Pittman Law Firm, P.L. today by calling .
We have over 25 years of experience handling personal injury cases.
We handle every case personally.
We are a full-service law firm and can help you with all aspects of your case, including your car.
We treat every case like we were handling it for a family member.
We return all calls - don't get lost in the system of a large firm!
We are local and have convenient locations.
We've won millions of dollars on behalf of our clients.
We can do everything large firms can do, but better.
"I would definitely recommend this law firm. I never had to call and ask for updates because they always called me any time there was a change in my case. Everyone is honest and really looks out for their clients."Past Client
"I liked the way I was treated so sincerely every time I spoke to someone. I was always asked how I was doing and feeling, not just about the facts of the case."Past Client
"I could not ask for a better lawyer. I left a very satisfied customer. I highly recommend them and would most definitely use them again should a need arise."Petty S.
During this pandemic they kept fighting hard for me!Gina S.
"Very professional and attentive firm. They explained everything very well and put me at ease. Kristin updated me all through the process and made sure that the insurance company didn't take advantage of me. I would highly recommend their services."Aladino C.
"I was very happy with my experience with Pittman Law Firm. They did an excellent job!"Allison Z.
"This firm was recommended by (2) separate doctors. These doctors knew our case was “too small” for the big firms. We would not be treated seriously. Pittman Law Firm never asked “ how big is your injury?” They just asked “How "Jerry M.
"While cycling in Bonita Springs I was struck by a negligent driver and hospitalized. Referred to Pittman Law I was very impressed at the professionalism and responsiveness of the firm. Within 6 months my claim was settled and paid with great results. As a "James J.
"Kristin was amazing, I can’t thank her enough! Having had a car accident for the first time and being the other drivers fault, I was in shock and confusion as to how to handle everything. The first thing Kristin was concerned about was me, she steere"Linda M.
"I totaled my car, was out of work for a while and in pain. Pittman Law Firm basically was like having a helper through everything. They did all the paperwork and took all of the phone calls from the insurance company. Now I am feeling better and it is all "Past Client
"I was hit by another driver and they lied to the police trying to make it look like I hit them. Pittman Law Firm helped me show that I was not at fault and everything turned out good in the end. It would have never went that way trying to do it myself."Past Client
"My son was in his first accident and we had no idea what to do or where to start. Pittman Law Firm told us what to expect and took the fear out of not knowing what to do. My son is better, the car is fixed and everything is back to normal. We would have ne"Past Client
"My experience with Pittman Law Firm has been very positive. They have a pleasant demeanor, are caring, patient and were always ready to answer any questions pertaining to my case."Past Client
"I was introduced to David by a mutual acquaintance for help with banks that were trying to force me into losing commercial properties I had spent my life working. The banks were in trouble and I became their target with such large loan balances. I couldn't"John P. (Past Client)
"I had a major car accident in 2014, 1 month after giving birth to my son. Being a first time mom, single parent and in excruciating pain is no fun. I had a lot of stress, depression, you name it. Pittman Law Firm was there for me literally ALL THE WAY!! Th"Past Client
How to Determine Who is At Fault for Your Accident
Have you recently been involved in a car accident? If so, the first question to pop into your mind is typically, "who is at fault?" and "who is paying for the damages?" Determining who is at fault for the accident is not an exact science but there are certain tactics that can be used to prove liability:
- Location of Damage - By looking at the place where the vehicles are damaged, you can typically tell who was at fault and at which angle the cars collided.
- Driver's Statement - You can look over the police report or insurance claim to see if there was any statement that includes an admission of guilt. By reading over the other driver's statement you can check to see if they ever said, "I didn't see you," or "sorry for hitting you," then that can be taken as taking the blame.
- Evidence & Witness Testimony - At the time of the accident you should go around to any witnesses and take down their testimonies about how the accident occurred and who they think was at fault. Be sure to get their contact information, including their names and phone numbers. By asking them what they saw you may get the proof you need to determine liability. You should also take pictures of the accident and any other physical evidence before it is repaired or removed.
- Prior Negligence - If the other driver had been drinking, driving without headlights, driving without their prescribed glasses, or failed to use their blinker while turning, then these are all signs of negligence that can help determine fault. When a driver fails to follow the rules of the road and breaches that duty, that can be seen as driver negligence and could thereby be seen as the cause of the accident.
Determining fault after a car accident is not always easy. Our Ft Myers car accident lawyers can help ensure that you receive the full settlement that you deserve. We have several investigation methods and effective tactics to help you hold the other driver accountable for their actions.
What Happens If I Am Partially at Fault?
Under Florida state law, even if you are partially at fault for the accident, you should still be able to recover a portion of the settlement. This is known as comparative negligence and this doctrine has also been adopted by 13 other states across the United States. With comparative negligence, your awarded settlement will all depend on the percentage of negligence that you carry. For example, if you were found to be 10% at fault for the accident and the total settlement is worth $100,000 then that 10% would be deducted from the amount and you would only be awarded $90,000.
If you would like to learn more about determining fault in a car accident case, please do not hesitate to contact Pittman Law Firm, P.L.. We offer a free initial consultation, so call us today at to get started!
Types of Injuries Often Sustained in Car Accidents
If you are involved in a car accident, you can suffer from a number of injuries that range in severity. The type and severity of injuries sustained depend on the circumstances of the accident.Common injuries suffered by car accident victims are:
- Back injuries (i.e. herniated discs, vertebrae fractures, etc.)
- Broken bones and fractures
- Facial lacerations and bruises
- Internal injuries (i.e. damage to internal organs, internal bleeding, etc.)
- Knee bruises and fractures
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Road rash, lacerations, and bruises
- Spinal cord injuries (and paralysis)
- Traumatic brain injuries (i.e. concussions, intracranial hematomas, etc.)
- Whiplash or other neck injuries (i.e. cervical dislocation, disk injury, etc.)
If you or a loved one suffered a catastrophic injury in an auto accident, you should contact a car accident attorney in Ft Myers, FL as soon as possible. The team at (239) 603-6913 can fight for the compensation you deserve for medical treatment, lost wages, and more.
What Damages Can I Claim After a Fort Myers Car Accident?
Car accident victims/survivors can claim compensatory and punitive damages after suffering injuries or losses. Compensatory damages fall into two categories:
- Economic damages, which are bills and expenses that resulted from the accident and have a clear cost. For example, economic damages can include (but are not limited to) current and future medical bills, physical therapy bills, the cost of a home health care aide, property damage expenses, and loss of wages.
- Non-economic damages, which are losses that result from the accident but don’t exactly have out-of-pocket costs associated with them. For example, non-economic damages can include (but are not limited to) pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of consortium, and loss of quality of life.
While compensatory damages aim to compensate you for your losses, punitive damages are awarded to punish the defendant for gross negligence or recklessness. Under Florida law, punitive damages have a cap of $500,000 or three times the amount of compensatory damages you are awarded (whichever amount is higher).
Punitive damages are not awarded in every case; you should consult with your auto accident attorney in Fort Myers because they can advise you on whether punitive damages can and should be pursued in your case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
According to Florida State law, people are typically given four years in which to file their car accident lawsuit. The four-year time limit starts the day that the accident occurs. However, is the car accident is fatal and you want to file a wrongful death case in Florida, you only have two years.
When To Hire A Car Accident Lawyer
We recommend contacting a car accident attorney in Ft. Myers as soon as it is reasonably possible. Insurance companies are quick to take action and will likely reach out to you within a few days after the accident. To best protect yourself and your right to compensation, you should have an attorney handling your case right from the start. It is especially important to contact an attorney if your injuries are severe or life-altering.
Contact Us For A Free Consultation
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (239) 603-6913.