Car accidents can happen without a moment's notice and they bring about much pain, confusion and frustration. If you are currently facing the aftermath of an accident, then you have experienced this first hand. Automobile accidents happen every day and it is important that you are prepared if it ever happens to you. What you do following an accident can make or break your chances of securing compensation. You don't want to wait too long to take action, otherwise all of the important evidence may be lost already. Take precautions to protect yourself so that you can secure a full settlement. Follow these simple dos and don'ts after your accident to help you navigate through the chaos. You can also call to speak with a Fort Myers car accident lawyer from our firm if you are looking for hard-hitting legal representation and trusted counsel.
Car Accident Dos
- Do request medical attention if anyone was injured in the accident and don't move anyone who seems to have severe injuries.
- Do call 911, otherwise you have no proof and it is your word against theirs.
- Do request that the police fill out a thorough report and request a copy for yourself.
- Do tell your insurance company about the accident, the sooner the better.
- Do ask the other drivers and individuals involved in the accident for their contact information, driver's license number, insurance information, license plate numbers and the year, make and model of the vehicles involved.
- Do ask for the name, phone number and address of anyone who witnessed the accident happen. Passengers do not count as witnesses; they must be third party bystanders.
- Do take pictures of the accident and any vehicle or property damage; this can be used as evidence.
- Do preserve as much physical evidence that you can before it is lost or washed away. You should also take pictures of your injuries if they are physically evident.
- Do write down details of the incident while it is still fresh in your mind. Also be sure to note the time, the date, the weather and the where the accident occurred. Keeping a diary will make your word mean more to the insurance companies.
- Do attend all of your doctor's appointments and follow their recommended treatment.
- Do contact an experienced car accident attorney to investigate your case and collect compensation on your behalf.
Car Accident Don'ts
- Don't leave the scene of the car accident before the other parties and the police.
- Don't listen if someone tries to talk you out of calling 911.
- Don't lose your cool and go off blaming the other drivers.
- Don't talk about the accident with any unnecessary parties, anything you say could be twisted and used to deny you compensation.
- Don't forget to take pictures of the accident, your vehicle damage and the surrounding areas like skid marks.
- Don't give a statement to any insurance adjustor from the at-fault party's insurance company.
- Don't sign your rights away. In fact, don't sign any papers from the insurance company before consulting with your attorney.
Car accidents create havoc and they happen in the blink of an eye. Have these helpful tips handy for fast reference in case you ever find yourself in a serious accident. If you have more questions about your car accident case, then check out our FAQ page or call to discuss your case with us today! Here at Pittman Law Firm, P.L. we offer a free initial consultation and we have three convenient office locations. Our firm proudly serves clients in Fort Myers, Bonita Springs and Naples, Florida. Call us today at (239) 494-8568.