When a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle, it can result in devastating or potentially catastrophic injuries. Understanding how these incidents occur is essential when it comes to preventing them, which is why we compiled a list of some of the most common causes.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Anything can cause an accident. However, some causes are far more common than others, so we will review the ones that happen most frequently.
Here are some of the main causes of pedestrian accidents:
- Distracted driving: When drivers fail to pay attention, accidents happen. The first thing that comes to mind when distracted driving is mentioned is usually cellphone use, but there are many other forms of distracted driving, including adjusting the temperature in the car or talking to a passenger. These dangerous habits are the cause of many pedestrian accidents.
- Left-hand turns: Three times as many people get hit by vehicles turning left than by those turning right. When a driver makes a left turn, they tend to be more focused on other cars and forget to look out for pedestrians, resulting in an accident.
- Rolling stops: When a driver does not make a complete stop, they may not notice nearby pedestrians, which is why this is a common cause of accidents.
- Impaired driving: Any time a driver is under the influence of alcohol or narcotics, it increases the chance of an accident occurring. Impaired drivers are less likely to see a pedestrian or respond on time.
- Speeding: When motorists drive at high speeds, they may not have the necessary time to react to a pedestrian. Moreover, increased speed will also increase the severity of the injury to a pedestrian.
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, it is crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Speak to an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney During a Free Case Review Today!
At Pittman Law Firm, P.L., our personal injury team is committed to fighting on behalf of the wrongfully injured. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, we will thoroughly review your case and create the personalized solutions you need to obtain the fair and just compensation you need to recover from this terrible incident.
Reach out to our law firm today at (239) 603-6913 to schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our team to get started on your pedestrian accident case. We have won millions of dollars on behalf of our clients!