Florida typically sees an increase in tourism during the winter months as "snowbirds" attempt to escape the harsh cold of their home states. Year after year, these seasonal tourists vacation or migrate to the sunshine state to enjoy the state's beautiful coastline. Unfortunately, increased tourism typically means one thing: more traffic. Since an increase in traffic density almost always brings a higher number of car accidents, it is imperative that drivers exercise caution during these months to minimize their chances of an accident. The following tips can help keep you safe on the roads this winter.
- Do not tailgate: Maintaining a minimum distance of one car-length can reduce your chances of being involved in a rear-end collision. If you are traveling at higher speeds, increase this distance accordingly.
- Watch your speed: Stay within the posted speed limit. Traveling at higher speeds increases the amount of distance your vehicle needs to come to a complete stop and can expose you to serious injuries in the event of a collision. The faster you go, the harder you will hit.
- Wear your seatbelt: Properly wearing a seatbelt can potentially be the difference between life and death in the event of an accident. Every time you drive or ride in a car, fasten your seatbelt!
- Check your blind spots: Do not ever change lanes without first peeking over your shoulder to check your blind spot for vehicles and pedestrians. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 840,000 side-to-side blind spot collisions occur each year in the United States.
- Avoid driving at night: If possible, try to minimize the amount of time that you drive at night. While nighttime driving often is associated with less traffic, this time also has a higher number of impaired and fatigued drivers on the roads. If you must drive at night, take extra caution to drive defensively and make sure your headlights are on and functioning.
Injured in a Car Accident? Call (239) 494-8568
If a sudden car accident should leave you injured this winter, a trial-tested Fort Myers car accident lawyer from Pittman Law Firm, P.L. can advocate for your rights and help you pursue the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries. With 20 years of personal injury experience and millions recovered on behalf of our clients, we can provide the hard-hitting representation you need.
To learn more about how our firm can help, request a free consultation today!